Sunday, April 18, 2010

meat without a victim

I am always amazed when I come upon vegetarians because personally, I cannot imagine eating a good steak every once in a a while (My veal chop yesterday was delicious, mmm). Most vegetarians choose to be vegetarian because they cannot imagine eating something that has once been alive. How about if this meat in question had never been alive and purely created for consumption?


In this project by the Tissue Culture and Art Project at University of Western Australia, skeletal muscle was grown in polymer from prenatal cells. The growing "meat" was displayed in the art exhibition L'art Biotech in Nantes, France in March of 2003. This experiment ended in a feast of the grown meat. Think this sounds delicious? I wouldn't steak my life on it from the way it looks.

Read more about this project here: www.tca.uwa.edu/au/disembodied/dis.html
This lab also has other rare interesting projects such as making leather, and a growing human ear. I had planned on taking tissue culture this summer which fell through unfortunately. Not taking tissue culture might be a misteak!

No comments:

Post a Comment