Wednesday, October 13, 2010

annie hall: favorite.

Wandering across to the DVD section after reading dense papers on aging, I saw Annie Hall among the stacks. I had heard great things about Diane Keaton's costume in the movie, so I had to check it out.

I immediately headed home in bubbly anticipation after reading the back cover and eyeing Miss Keaton's effortlessly chic, androgynous outfits, and spent the 90 minutes laughing at the development of the doomed romance between Alvie Singer, portrayed by the amazing Woody Allen, and Annie Hall, by Diane Keaton.

 La-dee-dah. How fantastic is this?

Alvie talks directly to the camera sometimes, and directly acknowledges that this is a movie: "Boy, if life were only like this".  The entire movie plays out like an old friend telling you a story you've heard many times, but are happy to listen to again.

There are many quotable lines from  nervous, pessimistic Alfie, and the ditzy Annie, who transforms into becoming more confident and assertive, which ultimately drives the two apart.

It's a bittersweet, beautiful, and most importantly realistic love story. I absolutely loved it. The movie moves quickly, with intimate and observant shots, and leaves you thinking long after it ends. Definite to-watch.
"Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes I have to invent, of course I - I do, don't you think I do?" says Alvie.

No comments:

Post a Comment