Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the commencement.

I graduated from Rice University with a B.S. in Biochemistry& Cell Biology (cum laude!) last Saturday in the most beautiful 70's weather.
Our commencement speaker David Brooks gave a useful and profound speech on life's happiness (happy marriage is very important), with two practical tips.
1. Startle your partner. Their reaction will be insightful as to what their native demeanor is.
2. When you are trying to decide whether to break up with someone, flip a coin. Then, observe your reaction to the decision the coin has made for you. You'll get your answer then.

Here I am, sitting down with Jones College, the residential college 
I ate, lived, and partied with for the last four years.

Walking out to get my diploma....

Is this really happening?

Two seconds after receiving my diploma (or should I say, a beautiful picture of Rice)
The flags symbolizing the different departments awarding degrees, on Lovett Hall

The family (including MJ on the right!) after we walked out the Sallyport

 The summer crew and moi


Reception back at the college, with mom and the bff
Typical A+Y moment- laughs, food, pretty clothes.

The Sweepopie 4-6-6, now graduates of Rice!

 Shots in the Academic Quad, with the diploma (of course)


The last four years haven't been easy- all-nighters in the library, moments of panic where I rolled around on the grass, hours of rants and whining over junk food... Graduating from college has been my biggest achievement so far, and I couldn't be happier and grateful that I made it here. It's been an amazing four years of my life, and I want to thank you to everyone I've ever interacted with, because every single one of you has helped me get to this point. I'll never forget these amazing, best years of my life I spent here at Rice. 

We did it, and onward to our next life accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment