Friday, May 20, 2011

lethal food combo.

During my three-hour Biochemistry final, I snacked on almonds and chugged copious(I love this word) amounts of H-2-O, then remembered that almonds release cyanide into the water. Was I going to drop dead in the middle of my final? Just let me finish writing down the fatty acid beta oxidation steps...

Actually, the ones that release cyanide are the bitter almonds, not sweet ones I was munching on. Unrefined bitter almonds are illegal for sale in the U.S., since twenty of these nuts will kill you. (Hydrogen cyanide is actually identified by its distinct almond-like smell, and old-school detectives could identify murder by cyanide poisoning by this smell.)

After I survived the biochemistry exam, I wondered if there were any real lethal food combinations that I should avoid. Well, there are no "lethal" food combinations, but many that will make you uncomfortable.


1. Persimmons and crabs.
Persimmons have a high content of tannin, and crabs, as are any other seafood, are high-protein in content. This combination makes an indigestible substance that causes abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.

2. Milk and chocolate.
This common combination forms calcium oxalate (calcium from milk and oxalic acid from chocolate) which is again, indigestible and causes diarrhea.

3. Seafood and beer.
The high content of protein in seafood with B1 in beer causes a catalyzed metabolism of nucleic acids which increases levels of the waste product- uric acid- in the body, and may cause gout.

4. Energy drinks and alcohol.
As much as we'd like to party all night with cans of Four Loko, energy drinks mask the depressant effect of alcohol and making you feel not-as-drunk as you actually are. In other words, you may keep drinking, keep drinking, keep drinking... until you drop.

I'd say be careful, but I was eating Cliff Kid Z Bars at 1 in the morning yesterday, so what do I know? These are so delicious and chewy though, and the smaller portions are perfect for me(as midnight snacks instead!).
One of the cons of living in a studio apartment: the kitchen is never more than ten steps away.

No comments:

Post a Comment