Friday, July 8, 2011

hello, pyeong-chang!

The city of Pyeongchang, in the Gangwon province will be hosting the 2018 Winter Olympics. When I visited couple of weeks ago, there were many promotional billboards around the province cheering on the bid for Pyeongchang. I kakao-talked my dad Wednesday morning who sent back a picture of the family in front of the television waiting for the announcement of locale for the 2018 Olympics... then celebration!

The NY Times article mentions hwang-tae(sundried fish) as a local delicacy, which we did indeed take for family friends. It is strange to be reading an article on this local place I got to know and love, from a different neutral perspective which doesn't forget to mention that it is only 50 miles South of North Korea.



People are cheering for selection of Poporo as the mascot for this Olympics, which would be perfect- he's a penguin, enjoys winter sports, and has the name starting with P!

***I looked down at the pen I was writing with and realized that it's an Olympic pen! I stole this from my dad when I was in Korea, and now it's a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment