Sunday, September 11, 2011

houston, we have a problemooo-

It's official! I am enrolled in a class- it says so on my transcript. I was excited to find that my neighborhood library had re-opened after being closed down the entire summer for renovations. I drove up to the library on sunny Saturday morning to find a cash cow outside:
It's a ca$h cow... for real$.

What is going on with these cows? Back when I used to bike to school, I would see these cows grazing on lawns outside of houses, all painted differently. I finally looked up "Houston cows" and found out that these are part of a public art project named "Cow Parade: Houston 2001". Artists were selected to design these pre-sculpted cows which were then auctioned off to be put in locations around Houston. Many ended up in government and business buildings, some ended up on peoples' front lawns.

You can look here to find out where your favorite cow has been "grazing".

The project began with Chicago in 1999, and has expanded to over 50 cities all over the world. At their online gift store, you can shop for a cow jewelry box, a miniature cow, or even a life-size one if you want to start a cow-farm in your own city(make sure you have a couple of thousand dollars to spare).
 
table by the sunny window... studying rocks! (get it?)
heading out, lugging giant bags
Back in Tampa, Umma and I would go to the library on summer afternoons or weekend mornings. We'd check out DVD's, read random DIY guides, or otherwise finish errands sitting at the tables. I love libraries because they are associated with these good memories. A lifetime of learning, I think yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment