Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sophie's World...

I finished "Sophie's World" and this book has me thinking about religion, existence, and our place in the World. Reading this book was definitely an adventure, since the book extended beyond its plot and reached out to my life. Although it is a novel, "Sophie's World" follows Sophie, a 15-year-old living in Sweden as she discovers mysterious letters from a philosopher leading her to explore philosophy through the ages and question her reality. There is a surprise at the end, as I began evaluating my suspension of disbelief, similar to "Lolita" in this way.

wearing invisible socks

I thought I put on enough sunscreen but two hours of Houston sun may be enough to melt away any prepared defense against the rays- I have sock tan lines! I spent most of my weekend outdoors- relaxing at Brochstein, working on my lab report outside, and rowing today morning. 
breakfast at Brochstein before football with little one
I think the hardest thing about philosophical questions is that there is no clear answer. You can believe it this way or that way, and push your beliefs into a direction. But it is also difficult to glue yourself to a body of thought because there are always great counterexamples that make you re-evaluate your position. I was also struck by the intimate weave between religion and philosophy throughout history. "Sophie's World" frames philosophy with a bigger storyline which keeps it exciting (and really makes the ending resonate)- definitely worth a read, just be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment