Sunday, October 16, 2011

mexican brunches: best of both worlds.

One of the things I miss most about college are Sunday brunches. The servery opened at noon, so all of us girls would stroll down in sweaters and flip-flops through the already-bright glass staircase and sit, leisurely chatting over croissants and orange juice. We often spent hours recapping last night's events, playing therapist to each others' problems, and whining about the work we had to do that day. Sunday brunches were extra special- the servery even had grilled omelets to order, scones, and warm kolaches.

This morning, I met up with grown-up friends E and L for brunch at La Guadalupana bakery. I'd come here once before to pick up Mexican pastries with the ex-boyfriend, and had wanted to grab breakfast here ever since. I suggested the place to E & L and being the food adventurers they are, they agreed to check it out. The place is on Dunlavy past Westheimer, and it is easy to drive past its hidden strip mall-esque spot especially since this bakery faces north- look for the Laundromat instead.
desayuno. cafe. agua. on a mesa. Limits of my Spanish.
We chatted about grown-up issues and life ponderings over migas (so filling!) and coffee (cinnamon-y delicious).
spicy and savory- delicious
The place is small on the inside, but there are outdoor tables sprawled on the narrow sidewalk, perfect on 80's degree weather-days like today. I loved everything about the place- the wobbly tables, the bikers strolling past, interesting building with a gargoyle across the sidewalk- and so did many others, since this place was crowded with other Saturday brunch-ers.
Beware: more pastries inside, proceed with caution... or not.
It is the kind of leisurely weekend brunches I'd loved and missed. Umma once mentioned that she loves grabbing brunches with friends because conversations tend to be happier and upbeat- I agree. I left brunch feeling excited and ready to face the day ahead.

(I love my family- I cannot fudge anything under their scrutinizing eye...)

No comments:

Post a Comment