Wednesday, December 14, 2011

of love and musicals.

I was introduced to Glee by my smarty-pants friend K one evening at the gym: "Glee is on right now!" This was the night of the Madonna episode, and (despite this fact) I grew hooked. Glee satisfies my weekly musical craving, which brings me to my next thought: why do I (or people) like musicals?

Musicals are usually upbeat, with an easy optimistic attitude on events and a comic twist on even the most unfortunate events. Also, musical performers not only sing, but also act, dance, play instruments, all on the live stage day after day, it is hard not to be blown away by their performance. As unrealistic as it is for someone to break into a song (and for the crowd to jump in, just in time for the chorus), you gotta stop thinking "this cannot be real life!", and just come along for the ride.

I love the moment when someone bursts into a song, because they just have to sing what they are feeling, words won't do anymore! My acting professor told us not to pick monologues from musicals because the ones with strongest emotions are written into a song. Also, when you think it is going to be a solo, but another person joins in perfect harmony, the slow soar into the musical climax and the final note, the great ending button and thundering applause... beautiful.

Also, I need to watch more Bollywood movies. Take all the things I love about musicals and multiply by three. I watched Dostana couple of weeks ago (thank you BB!) and I burst into laughter at some parts because they were just so darn ridiculous.
Not to mention that everyone's also so darn good-looking...

And, how is this for an early Christmas present?
Picture
The Lion King has published lyrics:
Ndabe zitha / Nkosi yethu Mholi / wezwe lethu
Lefatshe la bonata rona / Lea halalela
My friend commented "they have languages in Africa, you know", sure, but I didn't think they would be written out in alphabets like this for someone like me to memorize and sing along.

I am still listening to the Company soundtrack. If you happen to watch the 2006 version directed by John Doyle, pay close attention to when Robert plays the kazoo during "Side by Side". Did anyone see that coming? So beautifully done and I love the complete change in pace and mood afterwards.

1 comment: