Sunday, January 29, 2012

fixed action pattern to the Olympics.

Today at 6:40AM, I hopped out of bed and zipped over to Oyster Creek (45F means a perfect morning on out the water). Since we didn't race today, I was spared that traumatizing experience.

Our quad warmed up first with isolated movements- moving only the arms then arms with the back- which I found extremely difficult. I felt like a sloppy turtle; I couldn't just do just one thing. Once we started actually rowing (using the entire legs-arms-back sequence of motion) I was fine, but it was either all or nothing for me. I had to activate the entire sequence of fluid motions... just like a FAP (I couldn't think of this term for an agonizing five minutes!).
Fixed Action Pattern(FAP) is a sequence of coordinated movements that are performed together as a "unit" without interruption. Each FAP is triggered by a unique stimulus variously known as a sign stimulus, a key stimulus, or a releaser. A praying mantis striking at prey is a typical example... Once initiated, the mantis cannot change direction in mid-strike or abort the mission if the prey escapes. (ENT 425 site from NCSU)
Or just watch this video:



I am extremely proud of myself because:
1) I didn't catch any crabs.
2) I hardly have blisters= I was using "monkey fingers" like I'm supposed to instead of gripping the oars too tight.
3) I decided to train for the Olympics.

Good morning, you!
Okay, the third one is a joke. One of the coaches told me, "Hey, keep coming out to practice and you will compete in the Olympics... in 2100." I don't think that would be such a "S.M.A.R.T. goal", but I did sign up for my first 5k for March. It will be a fun 5k with a bunch of friends, but at least now I have a goal + a deadline to train to, plus a way to quantify my achievements (number of blisters, Olympic trial offers, mile split time).

No comments:

Post a Comment