Friday, March 2, 2012

Frank O'Hara: Personism

"Selected Poems" by Frank O'Hara (Literary Bestie sent me "Having a Coke with you") accompanied me to Philly weeks ago & I finally finished the collection last night. Couple of favorites including this last verse from "Steps"  that just makes me giddy.
oh god it's wonderful/to get out of bed/and drink too much coffee/and smoke too many cigarettes/and love you so much
And this stanza from "Poems" makes you believe (or feel) the power of love
.... when I am in your presence I feel life is strong and will defeat all its enemies and all of mine and all of yours and yours in you and mine in me sick logic and feeble reasoning are cured by the perfect symmetry of your arms and legs spread out making an eternal circle together creating a golden pillar beside the Atlantic...
Finally, my favorite "For Grace, After a Party":
Some albeit muted frustration then suddenly forgetting that you were supposed to be upset at that person, smiling at them as the sun shines in through the curtains. It's subtle and realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment